Advertising and Sales Promotion Online Single Semester
What comes to mind when you think of marketing? Does a favorite commercial jingle begin to play in your head? Or do you recall the irritating phone call from a company trying to sell you software you already have? No matter what your feelings are about it, there’s no denying the sheer magnitude of the marketing industry. Every year companies spend $200 billion promoting their products and services—and that’s in the United States alone! Experts estimate that by the time you turn 65, you will have seen nearly 2 million TV commercials, not to mention radio ads, billboards, and online advertisements. You’re familiar with what it’s like on the receiving end of a company’s marketing efforts, but what’s it like on the other side? In this Advertising and Sales Promotions course, you’ll learn how marketing campaigns, ads, and commercials are conceived and brought to life. You’ll meet some of the creative men and women who produce those memorable ads and commercials. And you’ll discover career opportunities in the field to help you decide if a job in this exciting, fast-paced industry is in your future!
Introduction to Advertising
- Distinguish among marketing and advertising terms.
- Categorize business activities, such as production, management, and finance, and describe how these activities relate to marketing.
- Describe the history of the advertising industry and its relation to today’s marketplace.
- Discuss laws regulating the marketing and advertising industries.
Advertising in the 21st Century
- Describe the influence of international marketing on the advertising industry.
- Explain the impact of multiculturalism and multigenerationalism on advertising marketing activities.
- Identify the importance of understanding cultural diversity from a marketing perspective.
- Discuss how diversity affects sports and entertainment marketing.
Careers in Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing
- Discuss careers in the advertising marketing industry.
- List the roles and responsibilities of various advertising, marketing, and promotions professionals.
- Explain the necessary education and training required for careers in the advertising and marketing industry.
- Identify the expected wages and salaries for jobs in the advertising and marketing industry.
Financing in the Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions Industry
- Identify sources of financial assistance for raising capital.
- Describe how businesses make purchases.
- Differentiate between buying for resale and buying for organizational use.
- Identify and describe types of financial documents used by businesses and agencies.
- Explain the purpose of financial records, such as budgets, balance sheets, and income statements.
- Discuss the relationship of perishability to profit and loss.
Working in the Marketing, Advertising, and Promotions Industry
- Identify and describe the interpersonal skills necessary for a successful career in marketing and advertising.
- Identify the role of professional organizations, trade associations, and labor unions in the advertising industry.
- Illustrate how teams function and describe team-building skills.
- Distinguish between the roles of team leaders and team members.
- Identify employer’s expectations and appropriate employee work habits.
- Define discrimination, harassment, and equality.
- Identify characteristics of good leaders.
Behind the Scenes: Technical Skills Necessary for a Career in Marketing
- Identify and describe types of persuasive rhetoric.
- Explain characteristics and purposes of a marketing-information system.
- Describe the types of inventory control and how they relate to marketing.
- Explain the steps of the consumer decision-making process.
Principles of Selling
- Discuss the purpose and benefits of personal selling.
- Explain lead generation and lead qualification.
- Explain the five steps of selling.
- Identify the importance of following up after the sale is closed.
- Describe effective strategies for training and educating sales staff.
- Explain how selling contributes to economic activity.
Culminating Project: Developing a Promotional Plan
- Describe stages of new-product planning.
- Define product mix.
- Identify stages of the product life cycle for new or existing advertising marketing plans.
- Analyze a promotional plan for effectiveness.