English Grade 10 Print Credit Recovery
English 10 is designed to build on the writing and literary skills of prior courses. Students will deepen their analyzation skills with units in Poetry and Short Story analysis. Students will also expand review and develop their grammatical skills to apply the knowledge to two writing units. The Personal Narrative unit will allow students to apply what they learned in the Short Story Unit to create a creative work, based on their personal experience. In the Opinion Writing Unit students will learn to determine their position on a topic, create a thesis based on that position, and then construct an essay to support that argument. Students will apply skills in research, MLA formatting, and persuasive techniques.
This study material is designed to provide students with a concise review of the proper use of English and introduce students to basic literary concepts.
After reading and completing the exercises found in the Study Guide, you will be able to:
· identify and use the parts of speech in sentences.
· classify sentences, identify subjects and predicates, and distinguish among different sentence patterns.
· apply capitalization rules accurately.
· define new words by defining affixes and root words, and by locating synonyms, antonyms and homonyms in a dictionary.
· distinguish among different types of figurative language.
· compose poetry, short stories and newspaper articles.
· locate and describe the parts of a library.