English Grade 8 Print Credit Recovery
English 8 is designed to provide students with a concise review of the proper use of English. Students will have the opportunity to learn about effective reading strategies to use before, during, and after reading; all of which are important to maximize comprehension. This course will review figurative language and allow students to identify, analyze, and design various types of figurative language. Students will practice reading literature while recognizing plot elements. Students will also discover the importance of reading informational texts. This course will give students the opportunity to differentiate between types of poems and the students will evaluate and create poems as a culminating assignment. This course will prepare students with the necessary skills for advancement through English courses.
This study material is designed to provide students with a concise review of the proper use of English grammar, punctuation and rules of capitalization and to introduce the student to library skills.
After reading the text and completing the exercises found in the Study Guide, you will be able to:
· identify and use the parts of speech in sentences;
· identify subjects and predicates in sentences;
· classify sentences and write sentences according to purpose;
· apply capitalization rules accurately;
· define new vocabulary words by defining affixes and root words and by distinguishing among context clues;
· list the 5 W's of a newspaper article and identify the significant facts of a simple news story;
· locate and describe the parts of a library.