English Grade 9 Print Credit Recovery
English 9 focuses on building writing skills to prepare students for high school level English classes. Students will begin with a foundation in parts of speech, punctuation, and capitalization. They will then apply and expand these skills to basic paragraph writing where they will learn how to create a topic sentence and how to expand details. They will also learn the four purposes of writing and will create examples of each. Students will then explore personal and business letter formats, to apply the skills from the previous units. The last two units focus on a literary analysis of short stories and poetry.
This study material is designed to provide students with a concise review of the proper use of English grammar, punctuation, capitalization, composition, and poetry.
After reading and completing the exercises found in the Study Guide, you will be able to:
· identify and use the parts of speech in sentences.
· classify sentences as to purpose and identify parts of a sentence.
· apply capitalization rules accurately.
· apply rules of punctuation.
· write concise topic sentences for paragraphs.
· organize paragraphs based on an outline format.