Hospitality and Tourism 1 Online Single Semester
|Where is your dream travel destination? Now imagine working there! You’ll be introduced to a thriving industry that caters to the needs of travelers through managing hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, resorts, theme parks, and any other kind of hospitality you can imagine. Operating busy tourist locations, creating marketing around leisure and travel, spotting trends, and planning events are just a few of the key aspects you will explore within this exciting field.|
When enrolling in the full year option of this course, it will be delivered in two semesters. Transcripts will reflect each semester separately.
|Unit 1: Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism|
• Assess why many people are attracted to careers in the hospitality and tourism industry
• Define the parameters and characteristics of the hospitality and tourism industry
• Examine the areas of business that make up the hospitality and tourism industry
• Trace the development of the hospitality and tourism industry
• Discuss the importance of service and the guest cycle in the industry
• Identify and discuss several current trends affecting the hospitality and tourism industry
Unit 2: Careers in the Hospitality and Tourism Field
• Define career paths and discuss how these affect the hospitality industry.
• Discuss the personal characteristics required in hospitality industry employees.
• Identify and discuss some of the career options in the hospitality and tourism industry.
• Examine the advantages and disadvantages of working in the hospitality industry.
• Discuss job benefit mixes and their role in the hospitality industry.
Unit 3: Hotels
• Describe different types of hotels, ownership structures, and the advantages and disadvantages of each
• Examine how most hotels are organized in terms of staff members
• Identify the tasks and responsibilities of departments such as housekeeping, security, and the front office
• Explore how room counts are generated and how payment services are now being handled by enhanced technology
• Discuss the practice of overbooking and its possible consequences
• Compare three types of marketing channels and examples of each in connection with hotels
Unit 4: Restaurants and Food Service
• Describe different types of food-related businesses.
• Define and understand the front of the house versus the back of the house.
• Discuss the functions of the front and back of the house.
• Examine the importance of menus in the operation of a restaurant.
• Consider how managed services differ from restaurants.
Hospitality & Tourism 1 Midterm Exam
Unit 5: Travel Planning
• Define tourism and identify the different types/aspects of tourism
• Explain the impact of tourism on a local, national, and global level
• Examine some of the factors that influence tourism decisions
• Discuss ecotourism and its place in the tourism industry
• Evaluate travel websites and different career positions in tourism promotion
Unit 6: Event Planning and Conventions/Exhibitions
• Identify and compare some of the different types of meetings and events
• Summarize career areas in the field of event planning and the difference between an event planner and event manager
• Explain some of the steps in planning an event
• Describe some of the steps in marketing an event
• Discuss some of the tasks involved in managing an event
Unit 7: Theme Parks and Recreation
• Explain leisure and recreation and their place in modern society
• Compare for-profit and non-profit recreation sites
• Identify types of government-sponsored, non-profit, and commercial recreation
• Summarize the history of amusement and theme parks
• Discuss the role and responsibilities of amusement and theme park managers
Unit 8: Cruise Ships and Resorts
• Summarize the similarities and differences between cruise ships and ocean liners
• Compare and contrast different types of cruise ships and what they offer
• Understand cruise ship terminology and cabin choices
• Explain some of the changes and challenges cruise ships are facing
• Identify and describe some different types of resorts
• Discuss how resorts are handling common issues and challenges
Hospitality & Tourism 1 Final Exam