Lifetime Fitness Print
Lifetime Fitness focuses on the "fit-for-life" attitude. This course is a unique blend of learning, participating and experiencing. Students will learn about fitness—what it is, why it is important to your health, and how you can work on achieving it. In addition to reading of the textbook, the student will also complete a Fitness Portfolio that includes personal self-assessments and activities for each chapter. Students are also required to learn about, practice and write a report on two lifetime sports of their choosing: volleyball, golf, tennis, soccer, weight training, self-defense or bowling. Students must select two sports they have not participated in previously. The course can be taken for a full or half-credit.
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- Utilize their acquired knowledge about the benefits of physical activity to health and wellness.
- Understand the biomechanical movement concepts that apply to fitness activities.
- Know from personal experience the principles that define fitness.
- Pursue fitness goals through physical activity.
- Make independent decisions about planning a healthy personal fitness program.
- Understand the fundamental skills of two lifetime sports.
Part 1 (First Semester)
I. BUILDING A FOUNDATION
- Fitness and Wellness for All
- Adopting a Healthy Lifestyle and Self-Management Skills
- Goal Setting and Program Planning
- Getting Started in Physical Activity
- How Much is Enough?
- Skill Learning and Injury Prevention
II. LIFETIME SPORT #1
- Learn a New Sport
III. MODERATE & VIGOROUR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY/MUSCLE FITNES
- Moderate Physical Activity
- Cardiorespiratory Endurance
- Vigorous Physical Activity
- Muscle Fitness Basics
- Muscle Fitness Applications
Part 2 (Second Semester)
IV. FLEXIBILITY AND HEALTHY CHOICES
- Body Composition
- Physical Activity Program Planning
- Making Good Consumer Choices
- Choosing Nutritious Food
V. LIFETIME SPORT #2
- Learn a New Sport
VI. WELLNESSPERSPECTIVEAND MOVING THROUGH LIFE
- Stress Management
- Making Choices and Planning for Health and Wellness
- Strategies for Active Living
- The Science of Active Living
- Lifelong Activity